Friday, March 12, 2010

A Night In The Life

Bartending at 1912Image by Premshree Pillai via Flickr
Look, I'm sorry that you're angry about the fact that your group booked a reservation for 10 - 15 people and thirty five showed up, and now the staff is angry that they can't do their job because you and your friends have overwhelmed the small space that we and our treasured regulars call home. And when I say "regular", I mean anyone that we know by name. You don't have to come in every day, if one of us knows your name you have "status" with all of us. It is just that simple.

When I heard you demand to speak to the manager, I shook my head, laughing about the incongruity of the situation, because there really isn't one. Our unspoken rule is that if you have a problem with someone you should talk to them about it. So naturally you were referred to the "manager" that you had a dispute with.

However, make no mistake, there is an owner. A fine and benevolent person, who shoulders the weight of trying to keep the joint going while the rest of us waft carelessly in and out. And you are free to talk to her, as I directed.

However, I've got to warn your naive self that this isn't The Olive Garden. Your complaint will not be forwarded to Corporate at our Head Office in London, Ontario, where a fake letter of profuse apology for transgressing the unwritten law will be issued with a $25 Gift Certificate (valid only Mon, Tues, Weds, alcohol  AND GRATUITY not included).

And I really hope you do call the owner, because a couple of things happened after you left that she might wish to discuss with you, not the least of which is having to clean up your friends vomit from a table. (thanks 180, I owe you bigtime)

I've worked in this business for decades, and I am very happy to be where I am, with the people I'm with, and I do genuinely like 99% of the people that come in to the bar. We have built a simple little sanctuary with the guidance of a fine hand, and you're welcome to join us.

But, please, don't make a ruckus. There is a lot of nice people who come in here, and they don't want to be bothered.

And come to think of it, neither do I.

http://www.goyestoeverything.com