Friday, March 5, 2010

Amazing Happens When You Say Yes

Jun 19-08 Sointula Ferry terminalImage by sointula via Flickr
In the early 1990's, I had a great job working in the salmon fishery on the North West Coast of British Columbia. I was attending school in Toronto at the time and this gig was a perfect opportunity. I was in my early twenties and this was a great student job.

The job entailed doing something I knew nothing about in a world that was unknown to me, but I had one trump card. The person who offered me the job was a friend who absolutely knew what he was doing, and in retrospect the subtext of his offer was also "come with me and I will teach you about my world". I am so grateful that I took him up on his offer.

Make no mistake, I had no free ride, but I also felt a great personal responsibility to my friend who had recommended me to be a part of  "the crew".

I took a leave of absence from my job bartending, got on a plane, visited my family, and embarked on a venture in to the unknown. What I experienced in that first year compelled me to get on that same route in that same direction for another five years.

I learned to drive a forklift, I learned that the difference between a coho and an early run spring salmon is hard to detect. I saw why the sockeye salmon is the regal member of the family. I was a fish out of water, but I challenged myself to learn and try to fit in. To soak it in and realise that I was being given an opportunity to educate myself.

I also met a lot of fishermen. A few jerks, but like the rest of this planet, mostly awesome people.  In hindsight, it was also pretty special to learn a little more about West Coast native culture.

I loved it so much that I spent a couple of winters out there, one in a cabin with woodstove heat. You chop it, I'll light it, dude. We would search the island for shwag left over by loggers.

In that moment when I said yes to my friends adventurous offer a door opened up to experiences that you can't buy, no matter how much cash you have.

I could probably write a whole blog about the myriad of experiences I would have during my time spent in the West Coast fishery, but this is one memory that sticks out.

It was early morning in Johnstone Strait. Off in the distance mountains sparkled with authority, aproned by unending evergreens. Two whales jumped playfully in the strait. A few feet away from my yellow gumboots, porpoises glided through the water, their swishing creating the only sound in the docks silent dusk.

And I thought to my mid twenties self, "no matter what happens in your life, you are probably not going to top this, so you should strive to equal it".

And I have, at least a couple of times. I hope you have, too.

http://www.goyestoeverything.com