Monday, March 22, 2010

Do We Care Or Don't We?


If the house of your neighbour burned to the ground, what would you do?

I'm pretty sure that I know what you would do. You would open up your home to them, and you would give every possible comfort. And so would I.

Its called human instinct, and it is built into our DNA.

Many years ago, the brilliant Joseph Campbell recalled a story about a police officer in Hawaii, who risked his life to save a man from falling over a cliff. Later, when the officer was asked why he risked everything to save this man his simple reply was " I knew that if I let go of him I couldn't go on living".

Plainly, when the heat is on, something kicks in that makes us do the right thing. In the critical moment our connectedness is crystal and our separateness evaporates.

It is built in to all of us, and those that would let go are the exception.

So the next time that you're on a crowded rush hour subway train, remind yourself that the vast majority of people on board would save your life, if only they had the chance.

Indeed, the hero does have a thousand faces.

http://www.goyestoeverything.com