Sunday, September 27, 2009

Setting Goals

A view from the West Stand of BMO Field immedi...Image via Wikipedia
I have come late in life to the concept of defining and achieving goals. Perhaps it is just a burgeoning sense of my own mortality, but in the last twelve months I have begun to set objectives for myself.

All of this got me to wondering about what a goal is.

Sometimes my goals are simple, but in my own mind not easy. These are generally day to day goals like I need to do my laundry, get to the bank, buy cat food etc. They sound simple, but they can seem like giant mountains sometimes.

Sometimes my goals are very complex and not even entirely clear to me when I first set out to achieve them.

When I define my goals, I try to find the right balance between challenge and attainability.

If my goal is easy to achieve, it will not satisfy. (please distinguish between simple and easy, the two are not the same)

If my goal is to fly to the moon on homemade wings, it lacks attainability.

Having said that, I did accomplish one very big, yet very simple goal today. More on that later.

www.goyestoeverything.com