Friday, September 11, 2009

Mr. Magoo Meets His First TIFF Celeb

Alice Cooper, American rock singer.Image via Wikipedia
So tonight was my first shift at one of the Toronto International Film Festival venues. I was nervous going in, it has been a few years since I worked on the public side. I kept invoking my mantra that I use in these situations - "things are not necessarily difficult, simply unfamiliar".

Generally, things went well, and I have to give a lot of respect to Helen and Freya for staying calm in a situation that was far more unfamiliar to them than it was to me.

I began to realize that the source of my nervousness was that I had no "Mommy" or "Daddy" to help me out. The next realization was that I had somehow become "Daddy" and it was up to me to help others out, and to answer the questions that they couldn't answer. Just like a real parent, I know that I don't have all the answers, but for the sake of the kids I have to come up with something.

Generally things went very well and nothing came up that couldn't be dealt with, and I remembered the importance of staying calm, so as not to upset the kids.

Our final screening was a film called Suck. Described as a Canadian rock and roll vampire comedy, it was not really my kind of flick, so I hadn't even bothered to look it up in the phonebook known as the TIFF Program Guide.

However, the film had generated lots of interest, to the point where it had gone "Rush Only" or standby in the more common vernacular.

Just prior to screening time a couple approached the box office seeking tickets. The man was kind of scraggly and smallish, the woman striking in "rocker" attire without being trashy. I was immediately struck by how gentle, respectful and polite they both were as they inquired about purchasing tickets.

The lady working the box office explained that they would have to get in the standby line located downstairs and outside at the east end of the building. It was only then that they mentioned that they were in the film, and I was summoned to deal with this situation. (I'm a big believer in letting others try to solve problems before stepping in, but thats a whole other post).

I asked them both to step aside while I looked into the situation. Again, they both were incredibly gracious and thanked me as they stepped aside. I found the person who deals with talent and they were whisked past us while thanking us yet again for our assistance.

I thought to myself "if only everybody who attends this festival could be so polite, calm, and gracious".

Later one of the box office people looked up the film in the guidebook, and there in the picture was none other than the guy that we had helped get in to the film. Turns out it was some musician by the name of Alice Cooper. Perhaps you've heard of him?

This is typical of many of my celebrity encounters at TIFF. I often don't realize who I am talking to until after the fact.

Anyway, I must doff my cap to Mr. Cooper. He and the lady he was with set a new standard for humility, politeness, and patience among TIFF celebs. Alice Cooper is a true gentleman, and a kick ass king of rock and roll!

http://goyestoeverything.com