Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Be A Believer

The Apollo 11 crew portrait. Left to right are...Image via Wikipedia
In the days prior to my trip to Africa, I began investing heavily in my own disbelief that something that I had planned was about to come to fruition.

I had spent many years dreaming about taking a trip to Africa, and many months researching the journey. Yet, in the days before leaving, I lost all faith in the groundwork I had done and went into "disbelief mode".

As the reality drew near, my own disbelief increased. When I told people where I was going, and that I was traveling by myself more than a few looked at me as if I was Neil Armstrong.

This only made my own disbelief worse and I began to panic about everything that could go wrong, to the point that as I was driven to the airport, I could barely speak.

I had fully embraced scarcity and abandoned abundance. I had thrown away all the empowerment that I had earned through countless hours of research.

By the time I had been dropped off at the airport in Toronto, my dream trip of a lifetime was feeling more like a monster that I had to slay, something that I had to get through. I was letting disbelief and doubt rule the day, and I was paying a heavy price for my foolishness.

Once I cleared customs in Toronto, all of it melted away. I let go of the scarcity that I was clinging to and realized that whatever the road ahead contained didn't matter, because I was now on that road and there was no turning back.

During the long journey trust began to envelope worry. I had made informed decisions that put me on the path I was on and that the unknown is not something that should be automatically feared.

I wasn't Neil Armstrong, I was doing something that a lot of people do everyday.

When I arrived at the airport in Accra and I saw the sign that I had seen in so many pictures on the internet, I teared up a little. The sign says "Akwaaba" which means welcome in Twi. I had achieved a goal in spite of my own disbelief.

My last moments of doubt evaporated when my checked through bag finally came off the plane, the guy at customs sent a line cutter back to wave me in, and the hotel I booked had a driver waiting to pick me up, as promised.

Each moment after that was pure wonder. I look back and laugh at my pointless anxiety. I knew what I was doing, but I didn't fully trust myself. Someday I'll figure it out.

www.goyestoeverything.com