Thursday, September 17, 2009

Grudge not, lest you begrudged

“Can You Forgive Her?” coverImage via Wikipedia
Grudges, most of us have them. I know I do. I've got a few real big ones that I carry around on my shoulders each and every day. Despite the heavy weight of these grudges, I've had them for a long while, and over the course of time, we have become friends.

I carry other grudges around with me, but these are smaller. They fit neatly into my back pocket and the inventory tends to ebb and recede. These grudges exist on a rotating basis and have worn themselves into the flexible pattern of my day to day life. I like to keep them handy so that I may pull them out, like so many go into jail free cards, as I go through my day to day endeavours. These back pocket grudges are something I use regularly, to ward off the grudged.

A grudge is little more than unresolved anger that is held onto for the purpose of expressing our own anger at the fact that we feel we have not received proper redress for a perceived offense.

Not everything is forgivable, or rather the bestowing of forgiveness in extreme cases is a deeply personal choice. Some grudges are fully justified, but most aren't.

As you read this, chances are that you are thinking about some petty stupid grudge of your own. Don't hang onto this, resolve it. The fact about carrying grudges is that they extract a cost to yourself.

I should go now, because I just realized that I need to email a long lost friend. Blogger, heal thyself.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8262040.stm

www.goyestoeverything.com