Thursday, September 17, 2009

Fighting For Peace???

George Harrison visiting the Oval Office in 1974Image via Wikipedia
Tonight I came across a street poster for TPFF. No thats not a typo I meant TPFF not TIFF.

I do not pretend to be an expert on the complexities of Middle Eastern politics, but I will say this. TIFF strives mightily to showcase the best films from around the globe and the films in the controversial City To City program are being widely praised. Cameron Bailey has been widely vindicated by the critics.

I applaud the TPFF, it seems that they have a positive attitude to all this, and their festival is a constructive response to the entire issue. I hope all the people who signed the petition will be in attendance to show their support. Chances are they won't, cos that would take some actual effort beyond entering some text on a keyboard.

They should however, invite some people from TIFF. I have a feeling that the bigwigs at TIFF would be honoured to be invited and delighted to attend.

All of this reminded me of the self serving nature of modern protest and how protesting has become an industry of sorts.

In the 60's protest was far more effective for two reasons

1. Demographics - lots of young people who were wealthy enough that they could consider the plight of others. This is no longer the case.

2. A machine that was utterly unprepared to deal with the sheer numbers. This is no longer the case. The machine is now well prepared to respond on the ground and in the media.

For the most part, protesting now exists so that people may feel that their voice is important. I've got news for you - your voice isn't important. What is important is hard work through engaging the machine, rather than shaking your fist at it. The best path to progress is using the rights that are entrenched to us by engaging the legal system.

This route however is very long, arduous, and boring and is notoriously averse to good photo opps.

I am reminded of Ken Kesey who was once asked to speak at a high powered Anti Vietnam War Rally.

Basically he told the crowd that their protests were useless and that by protesting they were invigorating the enemy. He said to the crowd " The best thing you can do is say fuck it and walk away". Needless to say this didn't go over well with a crowd that had heavily invested themselves in shaking their fists.

It also brought to mind the response that George Harrison had when asked why The Beatles didn't protest more about about the Vietnam War.

Mr. Harrison responded that The Beatles didn't want to engage the argument, but that they wanted to offer themselves "as an alternative to it".

I applaud the folks at TPFF.ca and I will definitely be attending their festival. You should, too.

As for those who want to use anger to advance their cause, I am reminded of some graffiti I read years ago. "Fighting For Peace Is Like Fucking For Virginity"

I can't top that.

www.goyestoeverything.com