Friday, August 28, 2009

Proud To Be At TIFF

Make no mistake, I am not a major player at The Toronto International Film Festival, but I am proud to be a part of this amazing event. I have the pleasure of contributing to this amazing event, for the 12th year, and I am proud to be here.

This year, I have been with TIFF since early in June, and it is amazing to be a part of building the infrastructure that makes TIFF work. While the public may view us as some major media machine, the spirit of those who work for the festival is very human.

Due to the success of TIFF, many people seem to think that we are some major corporate operation, when in fact we are just a bunch of dedicated human beings who believe in what we do.

Some people treat us like we should operate like a major media corporation, but the truth is that we are far more grassroots than we are corporate. And that is why I am here, yet again. I have the utmost respect for TIFF, the people who created it, and the people who run it.

To watch and participate in the building of this global cultural event from the ground up is breathtaking.

I must confess that each year, when I attend my first screening, and the lights go down my eyes well up with pride when I look at the screen and see our promo trailer and the volunteer trailer on the big screen and I think of the herculean effort of all involved to make this happen.

On behalf of all those who make this happen, you're welcome Toronto.

And I must express my own gratitude to Cayelle, who lets this experience happen for me.