Thursday, August 13, 2009

The City's Secret Life


So today it finally happened. For about six weeks now, I have been observing life at Nathan Phillips Square, enjoying the kaleidoscope of life, human and otherwise. One day I discovered "Nathan", ( or more accurately Nathania) a cat that calls the square home. After a little investigating, I discovered Nathan's lair. Once base camp was discovered I began leaving food for Nathan and we slowly began to bond.

Today, this culminated with me being granted a full audience. All inclusive petting privileges were finally granted and I began to realise that Nathan was not some vicious, feral street cat, but a being just like the rest of us: in need of love.

I also learned today that I am being transferred back to my previous job for the duration of The Toronto International Film Festival, so I will probably not see Nathan again. However, I have made my colleagues aware of her presence and I am confident that the fine people working at the tent will look out for her.

My larger concern is what will happen after TIFF disappears and it is -20c in February. Can Nathan survive on her own? Is she adoptable? She is certainly capable of being friendly and loving, but could she be happy living in confinement?

On the upside, someone else is trying to help. I know this because I see a small dish of broken up hot dog outside her "crib". Either a compassionate member of the homeless community has adopted her, or she has bonded with one of the many hot dog vendors who permeate the square. The former being more likely than the latter.

In any event, tomorrow will be my last day working at the square, but soon the number of staff at the tent will increase dramatically. Hopefully the number of people looking out for Nathan will do the same.

Either way girl, I'm going to miss you and I wish you luck. You're going to need it.

UPDATE

About a week or so after this post, Nathan disappeared. I think that people saw the cans of food I was leaving and someone either took her in or took her to the Humane Society. My hope is that someone took her home, because in my judgement she was better off on her own than she would be at the Humane Society, at least while the weather was warm.