Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Road To Damascus

The other day I had a conversation with someone that revealed something to me about myself regarding why I travel.

We were discussing my next trip and the thought occurred to me that I travel to prove to myself and others that the vast majority of my fellow human beings are the same as you and I.

So far, my theory has proven true in Cambodia, Belize, Ghana, Vietnam, Mexico,  Honduras, Thailand, Costa Rica, Canada, The Cayman Islands, and The United States.

While the sample is not complete, I do see a pattern that indicates that most of humanity is completely awesome.

I will be shocked if the people of the Middle East prove to be any less welcoming.

I truly believe that we are all brothers and sisters, and that the things that divide us are miniscule when compared with the things that unite us, and I look forward to spending Christmas in a predominately Muslim country that is tolerant of other religions

Damascus is the oldest continually inhabited city on the planet. Straight Street is the only street named in the bible that still exists.

While I am not a religious man, it is hard to ignore the significance of Damascus. Different religions living in harmony in the Middle East?

I'll support that, and I can't imagine a finer place to be on Christmas Day.

http://www.goyestoeverything.com