Saturday, August 21, 2010

Loud Chewer!!! Waster!!!!

Recently in Canada a major fast food chain has been advertising a very spicy product and using the idea that this burger is so spicy it will make you angry. In the commercial, two friends eat the burger in question, and become short term enemies because of the spice. We hear their inner voices as they eat the burger, which makes them angry.

"Loud Chewer!" one thinks about the other.

"Waster!" thinks the other as a jalapeneo falls from his colleagues burger.

I pointed out the commercial to a fellow bartender, and whenever we are hopelessly busy behind the bar, I will turn to her and say in my best angry voice, "Loud chewer!".

Inevitably, she calls back "Waster!", with equal vehemence.

And in that moment we mock our internal dialogue, ourselves, and our stress.

I don't know what it means to her, but for me it is a subtle way to release some of the stress of the moment and a comment about what I'm thinking and what I'm projecting and the gap between the two.

We all have an internal dialogue and it is important that we listen to it. Disconnection between our experience and our perception is the root of a lot of problems in a world where outside forces are constantly trying to alter our perception, so they may define our experience.

If you want to define your own experience, you must listen closely to your inner dialogue.

And, until I figure that one out, you might be just another "loud chewer!".

But that is my problem, not yours.

http://www.goyestoeverything.com