Friday, August 27, 2010

Di - Vine - ity

Tonight Torontonians felt a little chill in the air, a minute signal that change is afoot. As I closed the outdoor area for the evening, I looked up at the magnificent grapevine that envelopes our patio each year, currently at its peak.

I consider the fact that I've known this vine longer than anybody who works here.

For many years I have watched it transition from Gothic stems in the depth of winter to little buds in early spring. My favourite time is early June when the poor thing is trying to get "laid". It drops little green seeds all over our patio at a frenzied and fruitless rate.

I particularly enjoy this time because a lot of people complain about green things in their beer. I usually shrug my shoulders, mention something about the miracle of nature, suggest keeping a coaster over your drinks, and laugh to myself.

This only lasts for a few weeks. Let the vine do its work, you'll thank it later.

At its epoch in late summer, it is a magnificent beast, acting as a green roof for our entire patio, and then a long slow recession back to chilled oblivion.

And maybe it is just me, but the damn thing seems to get more robust each year.

I wish I could say the same.

http://www.goyestoeverything.com