Thursday, May 20, 2010

Say What? Apparently, not much.

Is "Social Networking" anything more than an endless parade of humanity struggling to convince others that we are more powerful in our lives than we actually are?

I have been obediently "Social Networking" for almost a year. The mainstream media told me that I should be doing this, so I did. I did this mostly because I felt I was missing out on something, I succumbed  because people I respected told me I should.

Almost a year on, and I find that for the most part Social Networking is fulfilling a need for humans to not only do things, but to be seen to be doing things.

The reason we need to be seen to be doing things is because a big part of our humanity consists of a need to share. This is a result of the fact that of our increasingly urban existence leaves us with a lonely gap and we try to fill that gap through digital relationships. Social networking is fed by our inability to feel a connection with one another in our real life.

Another aspect of Social Networking is that a majority of the content is little more than some opportunist douchebag trying to convince you that you should buy his lameass shit. These people have convinced themselves that endlessly spamming their so called friends is the passway to wealth.

Suck it. You're boring, you have no insight, and you're wasting my time.

As for others who post youtube links as a substitute to revealing themselves, I guess thats OK, but it would be nice to see you use Social Networks to express what YOU really think, as opposed to hiding your identity behind some video that someone else did.

Social networking could be so much more than it is, however my experience has only confirmed what I always suspected. Humans are far more interested in talking than they are in listening.

My grandmother used to say that God gave you two ears and one mouth so that you may listen twice as much as you talk, but these days it seems that listening is a dying art, despite the fact that listening is 50% of being "Social".

Everyone is talking, no one is listening, and only the few have something to say.

http://www.goyestoeverything.com