Saturday, February 20, 2010

Melissa, You Made Us Proud

Last Sunday at work someone sitting at the bar made a snide comment about one of the participants crying after an event. I can understand Olympians crying after they fail to meet their own expectations after a crucial performance.

These folks are under a lot of pressure, and more so for those who perform on home soil. I understand the release of emotion after an event that you have worked all your life to participate in. Kurt Browning famously apologised for letting the country down after failing to win a medal. Tonight Melissa Witherspoon did the same thing.

The fact is that Kurt and Melissa never came close to letting us down. They represented us with dignity, and they conducted themselves in the true spirit of the games, and I,  for one, could not be prouder.

At least they didn't pull the Olympic version of a Kanye West ( "I'm gonna let you finish, but I have to make some of your moment about me") and cry on the podium. Oh wait, thats the hockey players, not the sledders department. Though it could be worse, you could have a thing for Justin Bieber , whoever that is.

http://www.goyestoeverything.com