Friday, February 12, 2010

The 'Couv Is A Groove

Statue of Ilanaaq the Inunnguaq, mascot of the...Image via Wikipedia
In the early summer of 1972, my parents packed up everything and off the wagontrain went, westward from Calgary to Vancouver. I was not yet seven years old.

I would spend my next seventeen summers in Vancouver. More than any other place, Vancouver is where I became who I am, and oddly, it is still the place I think of when I think about home. And what a beautiful home it was. Lush green forests, soaring mountains, and beautiful beaches synchronize with my memories of those oh so formative years.

I miss Vancouver a great deal, and I don't get back as often as I should, but when I do return I still marvel at the intrinsic beauty of this rain soaked paradise. Often Canadians who don't live in Vancouver utter complaints about the amount of rain on the west coast. This is usually done just prior to their dropping the snow shovel and clutching at their hearts as they collapse in their driveway. I'll take the rain anyday.

The 2010 Olympic Games will be Vancouver's coming out party, a clarion call to the world. If the world is smart it will listen. Vancouver is by far the most beautiful city I've seen. Then again, I may be a little biased, after all we all have a place we think of when we think of home.

What comes to your mind when you think of home?

http://www.goyestoeverything.com