Saturday, February 20, 2010

Go Back And Fetch It


The day before the opening ceremonies, I read this article  about a skier from Ghana, who was the first Winter Olympics participant ever from that West African country.

As some of you know, Ghana is a special place for me. It was where I took my first solo trip into the "Big And Bad Mysterious World" and where I accidentally helped to start a charity project. I tried to give a gift, and ended up being given a much larger one.

At some point during my trip to Ghana, I had a palpable moment when I promised myself that I will do more traveling, that I had to have more of these experiences. And so I did. Over the next ten months I visited another seven countries.

Somewhere along the way, the array of experiences, the ongoing process of learning about blogging, and simply having too many things on my plate left me with a feeling that I was doing too many things, and I wasn't doing anything particularly well. Time and again, I found myself moving on to the next thing without having mastered the previous one.

In Ghana one of the iconic symbols is a rooster looking backwards. It means that you if you forgot something, you can go get it without shame. Go back and fetch it. On a deeper level it means you can go back and fix your past mistakes. Nothing is irrevocable, and I like that concept, which is odd because I can be very unforgiving.

Its time to be focused like a downhill skier from Ghana.

Its time to get back to the basics, and to finish what was started in Omenako.

Its time to give up going and getting going on giving, at least for now.

http://www.goyestoeverything.com