Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Is Facebook Over?

Earlier today, I read this post from Darren Rowse at problogger.net , and I had to laugh. It might be the biggest signal yet that we are entering a new microera of Facebook 2.0. Yet, it is not the first signal that people are beginning to realise the cost of being "friend sluts" on Facebook.

One friend recently lamented that she had joined a certain group that caused her to have a ton of friend requests, and as a result she was having trouble distinguishing the quality of information she was getting from people she truly cared about versus those who wanted to use Facebook purely as a networking and promotional tool.

Problogger.net is probably one of the most influential blogs on the net, but I am surprised that it took so long for Darren to figure this out. You have three choices with Facebook. Either use it as a business tool and be a friendslut, or use it to stay in touch with people that matter to you, or create two identities one to serve each different purpose.

There is a reason that I have thirty plus facebook friends and over 1000 twitter followers. My Facebook friends are all people that I genuinely care for and respect. I don't just add friends no matter what. If you are among my friends on Facebook, it is because I like and respect you, and I am interested in your life and your welfare. And that is the way it should be.

Either way, be careful. Real friends are precious and Facebook friends are a dime a dozen. Make sure that you don't confuse the two.

The saddest aspect is that we are actively and collectively diminishing the definition of friendship, one "add" at a time.

http://www.goyestoeverything.com