Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Ride -Zilla

Planning a trip is sort of like arranging a wedding. Buying a ticket is like popping the question, except when you buy a ticket, the answer is always yes.

After you buy that ticket, the roller coaster ride begins.

If you book a tour, it is like hiring a wedding planner. All you have to do is show up in your finest frock at the appointed time and let the carriage take you away.

Or you can just figure it out by yourself, which is more like eloping. Unlike a real life marriage ceremony, eloping is more expensive. Detailed planning may increase the cost of a wedding, but it decreases the cost of travel.

The best trip is planned by the Ying and executed by the Yang. Know where you are going, what you're doing, and how to get there; and be prepared to change everything at the last minute.

But just like a wedding, the devil is in the details. Planning a solo trip to places unfamiliar can be at once inspiring, daunting and frightening.

At the bottom end of the spectrum one can feel small, demoralized and defeated. And did I mention, frightened?

What if this happens? What if that happens? Why am I doing this? Each question is a natural extension of a common human fear.

Fear of the unknown.

At the top end of the spectrum I envision sitting alone among transcendent ruins that are the genesis of our humanity as the sun sets over an empty Syrian desert. I imagine the bustle of great markets, and hear the call to the mosque.

And I also laugh at the great irony of a quiet non believer like myself going to some of the most holy and timeless places on the planet. Places where faith began.

People have faith in all sorts of things. I put my faith in people, and I travel to prove that my faith is well placed. So far, humanity has a perfect track record.

And yet again, I find myself on bended knee, asking Syria if she will accept my hand. I'll let you know her answer in a few months, but to be honest, I also plan to see Turkey and Lebanon on the side.

My planned route map can be found here.

Godspeed.

http://www.goyestoeverything.com