Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Nicole

Sometimes the only choice is to throw a dart at the moon. When there is nothing left but hope, we have no choice but to hope.

For me the big part of a journey is researching the country. Lately I have been reading a lot about Syria, and by all accounts (almost) Syria is a safe place. Resoundingly, those who have been there, praise the hospitality of the Syrian people en masse.

I remember Nicole. She was featured on The National and on media throughout the country. She went missing in 2007. In Hama, Syria.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2007/05/23/nicole-search.html

Sadly, this story is over three years old. The family of Nicole have exhausted everything in their search.

Matt has a blog here Please disregard the comments.

This site offers a clinical approach.

Matt was kind enough to reply to my email, and he gave me some good advice. I cannot imagine the pain of his family.

The truth is that this blog post has a better chance of finding a lead than my trip does. So if you know someone in Syria who knows some one who knows a guy who knows some one could you please ask about Nicole?

Nonetheless, I will be in Hama and my eyes and ears will be open.

Not only is Nicole a fellow Canadian, she is also a fellow traveler.

And sometimes the only play you have is to throw a dart at the moon.

Please forward this in the hope that someone who knows something may see it and to help keep the search for Nicole alive.

http://www.goyestoeverything.com