Sunday, October 10, 2010

Giving Thanks

Sometimes we have a moment of crisis that serves to illuminate to ourselves how much we love each other and how fragile our presence on this planet is.

Many of our fellow humans have moved on from this mortal coil for the most trivial of reasons.

Wrong place, wrong time.

I visited the World Trade Center, I cruised on The Queen of The North, and I took this bus trip in Ghana, and nothing ever happened to me.

And so it was tonight at work. A few minutes earlier it could have been me. A few minutes later it could have been a dear friend. But it wasn't, and no one was hurt. Just like The World Trade Center, The Queen of The North and that bus ride in Ghana.

Canadian Thanksgiving is my favourite holiday. It embodies the nobility of Christmas without the mindless consumption, or the marketed guilt of mindless giving.

With each passing year I find more and more reasons to be grateful, but this year is especially poignant. I am thankful that no one else was sitting in the office on Saturday night when the meth head broke in with his crowbar; as for myself I feel a little shortchanged.

Call me sick, but it would have made for a great funeral. I could have died as a perfect victim, an unimpeachable martyr, some noble working class hero that might have had his pre crushed in skull displayed on the front page of the Toronto Sun.

If only I had gone for that smoke five minutes later.

I'm telling you, I cannot catch a break.

Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving, or whatever, I guess.

http://www.goyestoeverything.com