Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Like Pulling Wings Off Flies

SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - SEPTEMBER 02:  Allan who h...Image by Getty Images via Daylife
I am not heartless, but constant exposure to people begging on the street has made me very jaded about giving money to an endless stream of people; the majority of whom are not homeless.

I don't mind giving to people, but I do believe that my money could be better utilized by supporting people who are in need AND capable of accomplishing something. God knows, the world is full of worthy recipients.

All of which leads me to the appalling thing I saw tonight that contradicts everything I just said.

I was outside my local bar, having a smoke when an older man with a long beard approached me and asked for money. I wearily refused and he moved on to a group of young people. For the next five minutes I watched this drunk teenage dork get his jollies by teasing and tormenting this man, stealing every last shred of his dignity, all the while enjoying himself.

The young man didn't want to give, but he did express an interest in purchasing the panhandlers jacket or shirt on this damp Toronto evening. Funny stuff, eh?

It is one thing to refuse a panhandler, it is quite another to delight in mocking them. As the beggar retreated from whence he came I stood motionless in the rainswept night. In hindsight, I should have given him a few bucks as compensation for the indignity that this punk imposed upon him. Live and learn.

Where is the love, y'all?

http://goyestoeverything.com