Saturday, July 16, 2011

Tribal Diversity



Can we just be honest with each other for a moment, or a millisecond? I beg you to consider the audacity of the illusion of multiculturalism and the embracing of the buzzword "diversity".

Now don't get me wrong, I am in favour of both multiculturalism and diversity. But lately I've noticed that people are confusing the notion of diversity with the promotion of their own self interested and petty tribalism. Groups demand acceptance for themselves, but they live in ghettos whereby the acceptance of others is scarce and diversity is even scarcer.

Perhaps I'm wrong, and if you ever see a drag queen having lunch with a family of refugees from East Timor, please advise, because that is my definition of diversity.

I can abide the well intentioned and self serving lies that we tell ourselves in the name of tolerance. Make no mistake, I am pro tolerance. Just don't try and sell it to me as diversity.

Submitted for your approval is the case of one Toronto High School that saw a problem and addressed it in a creative and pragmatic fashion.

The problem was that many Muslim students were skipping classes, and using the call to prayer as an excuse. So the school decided to permit Muslim students to pray within the school, and all was well until some tribalist with a platform expressed her outrage under the guise of diversity.

To wit, I submit to the court one Heather Mallick, columnist for The Toronto Star.

http://www.thestar.com/article/1023979--mallick-some-toronto-schoolgirls-are-always-second-rate

Of course Ms. Mallick and her ilk have no interest in diversity whatsover, they only have their egomanical delusion that the rest of the world desires to live under the same value system that she does. But she is not alone, George W. Bush believed that better access to Big Macs would bring peace and happiness to the Middle East.

Ms. Mallick, like so many others, is utterly incapable of making the distinction between tribalism and diversity.

The audacity of her tribalism is so entrenched that she will probably be victorious, and the school board will ban this pragmatic solution. Ms. Mallick and her tribe will win, and more young Muslim girls will miss more classtime. I see no benefit in this arrangement for the girls, but apparently Ms. Mallick (and her tribe) does.

To me, accepting diversity means accepting the fact that not every culture is the same as my own. It most certainly does not mean that I should have the hubris to demand that ancient religious cultures bend to my will.

That would be egotism, right Ms. Mallick?

http://goyestoeverything.com