Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Charity Case




Maybe it is just me, but the definition of charity in this country has lost all meaning.

I've railed about this before, but as things continue to get more perverse, I'm going to rail again.

Recently, a Calgary women whose daughter was a cancer survivor, was denied entry to a fundraiser because she was only capable of giving four hundred dollars, which to me is a significant amount, but the charity denied her entry like an angry doorman at some hipster nightclub.

Apparently, the cover charge was two grand. Even more apparent is the fact that this "charity" gives less than 25% of your donation to the actual cause. The rest is squandered on a bloated infrastructure run by overpaid people of questionable competence who make their living blackmailing your emotions for their own benefit.

Make no mistake, cancer intersects all of our lives, including my own, but I cannot abide charity corporations who think that an eighty percent tax rate is acceptable under the moral guise of a "donation".

In my estimation, any charity that exceeds expenses of more than 20% is no charity at all. By all means if you want to get on a bike or put your running shoes on so you and your friends can feel good about yourselves, please do so. But please do not define what you are doing as "charity".

It is an insult to the definition.

It is little more than a circle jerk with a tip at the end.

Read this before you donate.

I recently received an email from a friend in Africa. His sister has breast cancer. He needs money to save his sister. I am confident that 100% of the money I send will go directly to help someone with cancer.

I know that all my friends and most Canadians are incredibly generous people, but I fear that that inherent generosity is being taken advantage of, and I only ask that you put the same level of thought into your giving as you do into any major purchase.

And if you think that your two grand is best spent participating in some event with a tax rate approaching 80% , then  by all means don your lycra and off you  go, but don't BS me into thinking that what you are doing matters.

The majority of your donation supports a self perpetuating and for profit system, not some noble endeavour.

I humbly suggest that a well placed investment of $2000 can change lives for generations, but it lacks the glory of showing your friends how much you care as you trod some specially closed for you urban avenue.

Its called charity, and its prime purpose is not to make you feel better about yourself.

http://www.goyestoeverything.com




Enhanced by Zemanta