Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Labours Of A Child



I took a lot of pictures in 2009, but this is one that resonates with me. During my travels through Africa and Asia I saw a lot of children working very hard. By our standard, these kids should be in school learning, and after that outside, playing.

This particular photo was taken just outside Angkor Wat. I had purchased a couple of soft drinks from her and then I had asked if she would let me take her picture. ( I would never take a picture like this without permission. In my opinion, peoples lives are sacred, and not my personal freak show to photograph at will)

While we talk about the evils of child labour,  most of the children that I have seen working are working to support their own families.

I post this photo in memory of all the children I have seen working this year. As you read this, this young lady got up ahead of the sun and will work past sundown for less than $5. And it will continue thusly until we give her parents opportunity.

I can assure you that the parents of this young lady would rather see her in school and playing with her friends afterwards, like we all did.

Its easy to blame Nike, but the largest employer of child labour are parents. And this is done out of necessity.

Until we give her parents better options and build a free school for her to go to, nothing will change.

I just know that she, and all the other kids I observed this year deserve more. Shame on all of  us.

http://www.goyestoeverything.com