Tuesday, May 26, 2009

How Did I Get Here?

I was born in Alberta in the mid sixties. My family moved to Vancouver in the early 1970's. The bulk of my childhood was spent in a liberal suburban paradise. Disenchanted with high school and the general vibe of my life, I left home at sixteen. My father got me a job in a restaurant as a busboy. To this day the hospitality industry is still my main source of income, though I have had some other very fun gigs along the way. In my early twenties I moved to Toronto, which I still call home to this day.

My life is simple and humble. I live in a small rented apartment. My job is a five minute walk from my home. I do not own a car. Almost everything I need is within a five minute walk from my front door. If I need anything else, there is a subway stop 90 seconds from my door.

I don't make a lot of money, but I don't spend a lot of money either. This enables me to commit my life to other things. The downside? There will probably be no easy retirement for me. Thats OK, I have made my bed, and I have no problem with it.

I will be quite happy if I can go to my grave knowing I did a little good for some people who weren't given the same options that I was.