Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Which Tribe, What Hate?

Before I start my rant, you should read the following link. Obviously this is a tragic story, and a decent man had his life taken away by an odious action in the heat of the moment by an unrepentant thug. His conduct is indefensible and if his sentence was doubled, I would not shed a single tear.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/british-columbia/vancouver-gay-bashing-ruled-a-hate-crime/article1790162/

Nonetheless, I am horrified by a lot of comments regarding this story on major Canadian websites. Many of these comments pertaain to the fact that this "straight" man had no business being in a "gay" bar.


Jew, dyke, Muslim, fag, Christian, people of colour, LGBT or whatever stupid tribalism that you choose to subscribe to does nothing but divide humanity from itself and the comments regarding this heinous crime only served to divide us.

If a "straight" (yeah obviously the perp has issues) man has no business in a gay bar, then a "gay" man has no business in a straight bar? It is this kind of stupid tribalism that separates us from each other.

It has been said that the only people who can stop radical Muslims are moderate Muslims. I would say the same for the Gay community.

Last night as I sat in the office I watched two men avail themselves of the ladies washroom. They disappeared for at least five minutes. What they were doing, I know not.

But I do know that within a minute or two after they left, a young mother took her young daughter to the same bathroom.

Equality is a two way street.

Let us all wave our flags and pretend that our cheap tribalism is somehow a step forward.

Respect is earned, and not entitled.

I'm just happy that the adorable little girl was not subjected to what these two aging degenerate desperadoes might have been doing in the women's washroom.

Then again, to complain about such behaviour could lead me to the front of a Human Rights Commission.

And those in the "community" turn a blind eye to the conduct to a level that would make the Catholic Church blush.

We can bash priests, but fags are sacred.

It is well past the time that the LGBT community started policing itself. Sadly, petty tribalism will prevent this from happening, as the "community" looks away.

Surely, decency should enter the equation at some point, or is there some acceptance within 'the community" that a five year old girl going to the bathroom should be subjected to witnessing whatever it is that two fat aging desperate bears might be getting up to?

But hey, I'm a straight guy, so it is not really my business if two men want to go to a womens washroom within seconds of a five year old girl. To suggest otherwise might be perceived as a hate crime.

I care not about you, your perferences, your genitalia, or your beliefs. If two people love each other, then I care not one wit about whatever equipment they may have been born with. Nor do I care about anyones proclivities, other than my own and the person that I share my bed with.

But I do care about about that five year old girl and her right to be taken to the bathroom by her mother unfettered.

While I agree with Mr. Trudeau and his sentiment that "The state has no business in the bedrooms of the nation", I am equally certain that bartenders and bar owners have every right to know what is going in their washrooms.

Make no mistake, your blind willingness to subscribe to your tribe is the epitome of a step backwards that is only eclipsed by an ignorant willingness to accept unacceptable conduct based on sexual preference.

And this is a source of Pride?

http://www.goyestoeverything.com