Sunday, November 21, 2010

Suddenly 1994



Personally, I blame Pat Burns. I was already feeling very sad about the passing of the former Habs/Leafs/Bruins/Devils coach. I never met the man, but dang it, I liked the guy and his death sent me in to a fit of melancholy out of all proportion.

But apparently I did not understand the lesson, at first.

And thus it was that an envelope was proffered as I tended the bar. It had been kindly left by my ex wife, and contained photos of bygone days filled with bygone people.

Perfect, more melancholy, but then the lesson.

I wasn't mourning the loss of Pat Burns, I was mourning the loss of a time and a place in my own life. Mourning the fact that sometimes things don't work out as we planned, that we lose loved ones along the way, and that time is littered with squandered opportunities.

Partially I was mourning the fact that it is not 1994 anymore, but at the core of my lament, I was mourning the fact that with experience comes the forlorn ability to see the ever shrinking road ahead and to know it in the fullness of its own relentlessness.

Plus that was a total high stick by Gretzky on Gilmour in game seven.

Right coach?

http://www.goyestoeverything.com