Friday, April 9, 2010

He's Gotta Have It

vietnamese coffeeImage by raysto via Flickr
Its good to admit when you have a problem, when you realise that your dark need to satiate your overwhelming urges forces you to seek out the street in search of feeding that thirst that can never be fully quenched in the way it was that first time.

My problem first started in Vietnam, Saigon to be exact. I hoped that Hanoi would change things, but it didn't. It only got worse. I figured that once I got back to Canada, I could let it go, forget about things and put it behind me once and for all. Pick up the pieces and move on. But I couldn't.

Thus it was that I found myself wandering the streets of Chinatown, peering into darkened doorways, looking for that familiar lettering that let me know that the mist rising from that impossible bowl was purveyed here, that the agonising drip of the brown elixir into the cauldron of stilled whiteness might be gleaned within these florescent walls and that I could be made whole again, if only for a moment.

As I walked in, I felt my desperation permeate the room. I needed it bad and I needed it now. I can barely enunciate as my choking throat gasps out the order. It seems like an eternity, but within a few scant moments it arrives.The edible version of my great white whale.

A steaming hot bowl of pho and a Vietnamese iced coffee. I squeeze the lime, add the sprouts and tear off the leaves of whatever that herb is and dig in. I eat, mesmerised by the coffee slowly dripping before me. And for a moment the world is perfect.

I think to myself, yeah, Hanoi was pretty awesome, but Toronto isn't too shabby either.

http://www.goyestoeverything.com