Saturday, August 13, 2011

Thank You, Rogers Cable

From a "wired" perspective it has been an interesting few weeks, but I am coming to the conclusion that the gods are trying to tell me something.

One day my laptop fails, the next day a wireless device goes down. As soon as my laptop is repaired and I am back online, my neighbour convinces a representative of Rogers Cable to cut off my service because the wiring for my entire building is wired to a hub on an adjoining property.

What transpired from that point can only be described as a failure of epic proportions by what Rogers has the audacity to call customer service. I won't bore you with the details, but through this outlandish ordeal, I began to question whether or not I needed to have a T.V. that I wasn't paying attention to droning on in the background constantly.

As for internet access at home, that too became an expendable notion. I began to realise that the quality of my existence would probably be enhanced without constant access to these services.

Make no mistake, I am not repudiating the internet, nor am I suggesting the internet is superfluous. During my little "blackout" I came to the conclusion that I have two portable devices that can access the internet on the go, and that given that I live in an urban environment, WiFi is ubiquitous.

My employer, my local, and my favourite eatery all offer free internet access  and I can get a few TV channels via antennae.

However, the fact that it took Rogers Cable cutting my feed to make me realise that I could exist without giving Rogers Cable $130 per month is delicious.

Ironyman strikes again!

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some books to read and some phone messages from Rogers to ignore.