Sunday, August 21, 2011

Muslim Country? Muslim People? Seriously?

I'll admit that when one travels to any locale and has a positive experience, one tends to adopt an attitude of support, and I am no exception. So I'm just going to make a statement based on my travels, mostly because I see a rising tide of anti-immigration sentiment in this country ,that , frankly, scares me to death

Each and every person I met in Ghana treated me  with the utmost kindness, hospitality and respect. The country is mostly comprised of Christians, but there is a significant Muslim population in the north, but that didn't matter, the level of welcome was equally gracious throughout.

Next up, I went to the Buddhism countries, and ya know what? It turns out that I'm starting to suspect that the planet might be filled with very kind people. Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam. Nice, Nice,Nice

Surely, it can't be possible that most people are decent?

The news tells us to be afraid and angry.

But I refuse to buy that, given that I have glimpsed Africa and Asia., and all I found there were people who had far more difficult lives filled with far more joy and happiness.

So I went to the heart of the hatred. Syria. You know , one of those countries where all those bastards live, where each and every citizen is working diligently around the clock to specifically destroy your existence.

But what I found in all of these places was something quite different.

What I found was a level of grace, dignity, respect, and welcome that most Canadians should aspire to.

Sadly, we don't.

http://goyestoeverything.com