Sunday, December 5, 2010

WTF? Leaks Are Good, You Idiots!

When I was eight years old, I used to get mad with the television after school. It was 1973 and I was aghast at the fact that the local stations from Seattle had the temerity to show the Watergate hearings, thus pre-emptee Brady Bunch and my precious Gilligan's Island (btw its Mary Ann uber alles)

On an evening in 1974 my parents and I had dinner in front of the television. The rarity of this event was the fact that it was at my parents behest. Usually it was me and my older brother begging to have dinner in front of the TV from the PST so we could watch Ken Dryden and Guy Lafleur et al crush our underdog instincts so magnificently year after year.

But that night was different as we sat at our TV tables in the rec room . I wasn't watching a hockey game, I was watching Richard Nixon resign as president.

He resigned because of leaks that shone a light on the darkest corners of his humanity, which rightfully led to his resignation.

Woodward and Bernstein were celebrated for making that happen, the finest journalism a generation could offer. Daniel Ellsberg, who leaked the Pentagon Papers, which revealed the secret bombings of Cambodia, is also regarded highly.

Fast forward to 2010 and the slow rising tide of fascism. Apparently journalism is dead and anyone of you bleak, dreary, brain dead losers that pass yourself as members of the press will be given the compliance award so long as you keep your mouth shut.

Wikileaks is doing the world a great service. What shocks me is the obedience of the populace in supposedly "free democratic countries" to accept the idea that we are not worthy of listening in on the communications of those in power.

So much for that "All Men Are Created Equal" garbage, with apologies to the ladies. The real message here is that most people agree with the idea that people like you and me have no business knowing what those in charge are thinking.

Fuck them, fuck that and fuck you if you agree.

That is how we end up in a twisted world where people openly advocate for the murder of the last journalist left in this century. Hello and goodbye Julian Assange.

And when I set up my TV dinner in front of my computer to watch the story of Mr. Assange and his death,I will mostly think of how an age has passed when whistleblowers could bring down kings, while lamenting the compliance of a current time.

The real message of Mr. Assange and his upcoming demise is about the widespread acceptance of the idea that we have no business knowing what our "betters" are thinking or doing. In a "free society", these are the sorts of things that citizens have a right to know.

If only we lived in a free society.

Shame on us, our compliance, and our complicity.

Heil!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_Assange

http://www.goyestoevrything.com