Thursday, September 16, 2010

The Portal

Photograph of the Theater at EphesusImage via WikipediaOver the last few weeks I have been having bouts of buyers remorse, asking myself why I purchased a ticket to Istanbul, with an intent to go to Damascus during the Christmas period.

My level of remorse peaked with notions that I could simply head in another direction from Istanbul, (after all, Istanbul is the crossroads of the world) and if I wanted to back the truck up all the way, I could simply inform British Airways that I would not be making my connecting flight from Heathrow to Ataturk.

But then I checked the mail. Thankfully, my October issue of National Geographic Traveler had arrived. Smack dab on the cover was a picture and a word: Istanbul.

Istanbul is the only city in the world that straddles two continents. To quote the article, "Istanbul is the most Western city in The East and the most Eastern city in The West."

It is a portal to another world, no matter what direction you come from.

I smile quietly as the thought occurs that perhaps my instincts are not so bad after all, and yet I am a little daunted by my reckless promises to myself, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Suddenly, I feel a whole lot better about my journey from Istanbul to Damascus

And as I research the trip, I realize that faith is going to play a big part. Throughout my travels I will be hearing the call to prayer at the mosques 5 times per day. I will be seeing biblical ruins and visiting places held sacred by Jews, Christians, and Muslims.

Part of the reason I booked this trip was to avoid the blind consumerism of a Toronto Christmas. Ironically, I will be spending my Christmas in a land where faith was born. It will be interesting to observe my godless self in such a devout environment.

But as an Atheist, I put my faith where it has always been.

I put my faith in humanity.

http://www.goyestoeverything.com