Wednesday, July 14, 2010

I'm Syria-ess

The Decumanus Maximus on the site of Palmyra, ...Image via Wikipedia
Recently, I read a lovely blog post about how travel and falling in love release the same feeling in our brains. We're scared, we're not quite sure what is ahead, but we are willing to make ourselves vulnerable to an unknown that could change our lives, despite the risk.

It is absolutely true, and I felt that feeling as I passed through customs in Ghana, when I approached Angkor Wat and as I lunched in Halong Bay, Vietnam. It was the same rush that I feel when I fall in love.

And while I may not yet be reciting vows, I am developing a serious crush on Syria.

Fly to Istanbul, catch a train to the Syrian border, and after that maybe Lebanon, Northern Iraq (Kurdistan) or Jordan.

Best of all, I won't be home for Christmas, thus avoiding the blind intersection of forced generosity with empty spirituality.

Yes, I think I'm in love.

http://www.goyestoeverything.com