Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Year To The Ground, i2009

I will always remember the year 2009 as a personal turning point, a period when I finally began to find my place in this world.

In 2008, I experienced a loss of family, friends and a beloved pet. Out of this cloud of grief, a realisation of my own mortality emerged, and with that came a commitment to more fully live my life in 2009, and I am proud to say that I think I did that.

I went to Ghana, and met my travel dream to go to Africa. Along the way I helped begin a project to rebuild a school. I can honestly say that if you ever get the chance, you should go to Ghana. The people there taught me a great deal, and I am forever indebted.

That trip also encouraged me to create goyestoeverything.com . Recently a relative mentioned that they were looking forward to seeing me and hearing my travel stories. I kind of cringed because I am not a great verbal storyteller, and I try to put everything into the blog. This is how I communicate best. If you want to know what I'm up to, don't talk, read.

The summer was spent working hard at two jobs. In addition to my regular gig, I worked some sleepless shifts for the Toronto International Film Festival, so I could pay for a new trip to Asia. Not only is TIFF a great organisation, but I must thank them for helping me to pay for my trip.

Thusly I was off to Asia, more specifically Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam. I am still learning my lessons from that journey.

However, the people that contributed to helping me make this the most incredible year of my life are my boss, Cayelle, and my mother. Without your combined generosity, none of this would have happened, and I am deeply indebted to you both.

Thank you, you made my year.

http://www.goyestoeverything.com