Monday, December 28, 2009

An Open Letter To 5440

Something has been bothering me ever since I posted  some videos from my Ghana trip , and now I have compounded the problem by posting more videos from my trip to Asia .

I have been known on occasion to get on my moral horse about the actions of others regarding theft, but now I find that I am the thief. At my most judgemental, I would ask others two simple questions.

  • Did you take it?
  • Did it belong to you?. 
It is true that ethics are what we do when no one is looking and the internet provides ample opportunities for us to challenge our own ethics. The opportunity to steal abounds, and I find that I am little more than another among the throng of pilferers.

While none of the music that is on the videos is stolen,  (every tune was paid for or downloaded for free from the 5440 website), the use of the music on the videos is clearly copyright infringement.

So I'm fessing up, and pleading guilty with an explanation, as I throw myself on the mercy of the court

- the videos are an homage to my favourite band
- they are not intended to be used for personal profit
- each video contains accreditation and promotes the band

Nonetheless, its your stuff, I took it, and it did not belong to me. There is no getting around that. I will respectfully remove the audio upon request.


note - this was originally posted to 5440's facebook page.