Saturday, July 25, 2009

You're Not A Real Traveller!

While researching my trip to Ghana I came upon a post at Mark Moxon's site regarding the hierarchy of travelling in Africa. Believe it or not, there is a hierarchy of travellers, and I find it quite comical. In fact, I had a complete stranger tell me that I was not a "real traveller" while I was sharing some pics with a friend.

This puzzled me, as I was not trying to achieve membership in a club that I did not know existed. But there actually is a club and the fact is that the guy who was dissin me would only be considered as a medium member.

So here is how this Caste system works, from Untouchable to Brahman:

  • - people who buy package tours on bus
  • - people who fly on their own, but just book tours while in the destination
  • - people , such as myself, who use public transportation. The backpacker set.
  • - people who have a car. They can go a lot of places, but not everywhere.
  • -people who have "overland" vehicles. Equipped with everything, these are the folks who drive through Mali in 46c weather without fear.
I'm not really into these hierarchies, I just think everyone should travel in any way they can.