Monday, November 2, 2009

Who Screwed With The Bananas?

Example of an American grocery store aisle.Image via Wikipedia
Way back in the last century things were very different. For instance you could go to the grocery store and buy a tomato. You could take it home, cut it up, maybe put a little salt on it and it would taste like a tomato. Now we have the fishtomato.

Most common strains of tomato that are sold in this world contain a fish gene that has been spliced into the seed. The geniuses at Monsanto thought that it would be good to splice a gene into the tomato seeds from a fish that survived in cold temperatures. The purpose of this was to protect agribiz from crop failures due to frost and it is things like this that led to the term Frankenfood.

I have known about this for a long time. What I did not know is that they have now siezed control of the bananas, too.

When I was a boy and we put a banana in the fridge, it would go black within twelve hours. Not so any more.Either bananas have evolved very quickly or someone has messed with the recipe on a molecular level.

If I ever find a decent banana, I'll let you know. And I'll pick up a few tomatoes while I'm at it.

http://goyestoeverything.com